WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 

Based on the troubleshooting of this Big Red I will disassemble the top end of this motor to further investigate. To remove the cylinder head and cylinder of this three wheeler the engine will need to come out of the frame. Before I get the engine out of the frame components like the rear fenders, exhaust, recoil starter, and carburetor will need to be removed. I will also drain the engine oil. I got lucky when removing the exhaust in that the whole stud came out of the cylinder head. Normally these studs break and you have to drill the stud out.

IMG_5537.JPG 
Rear fenders removed

IMG_5539.JPG 
Draining engine oil

IMG_5542.JPG 
Complete exhaust stud being removed.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
I got the engine out of the frame and on the workbench for disassembly. I had to remove the starter, drive shaft boot, and the motor mounts. The lower motor mount bolt was a real pain. The steel bolt oxidizes and seizes up where it passes through the motor. It is not in a good spot. I ended up tipping the 3 wheeler on its side so gravity will take the penetrating oil down and I could try to pound it out easier with a hammer and an old railroad bolt. It took a lot to get this bolt off and this is not the first time. I had a 1985 Honda ATC 250SX that had the same issue. Next time I will drill some pilot holes in the area where the bolt passes through the motor to get some penetrating oil in where it is needed and fill the holes after the bolt is out. Now it is time to start the motor disassembly.

IMG_5608.JPG 
driveshaft boot removed

IMG_5609.JPG 
starter removed

IMG_5610.JPG 

ATC up on its side

IMG_5611.JPG 
Using a heavy duty railroad bolt to pound the motor mounting bolt through

IMG_5612.JPG 
Motor ready to come out

IMG_5613.JPG 
Motor on the workbench

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Now that the motor is on the workbench it is time to start breaking it down. This is a fairly simple process as long as all the fasteners come loose. In this case they did so it came apart quickly. See pictures and captions below for details. Upon initial visual inspection I did not find any issues but in the next post I will do a more detailed inspection.

IMG_5613.JPG 
motor on bench

IMG_5614.JPG 
cdi cover off IMG_5615.JPG  IMG_5616.JPG  IMG_5618.JPG   
removing the cdi trigger and rotor assembly
IMG_5619.JPG 
removing rocker cover

IMG_5621.JPG    IMG_5628.JPG   
cylinder head and camshaft removed
IMG_5626.JPG 
evidence of oil leaking around the cylinder head gasket area

IMG_5703.JPG 
Top end disassembly complete. Now time to move on to cleaning and inspection.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Oops I forgot to post the cylinder head disassembly. I used a valve spring compressor to remove the keepers and disassemble the valves. The valves need to be disassembled for inspection and to replace the valve stem seals. See pics and captions below for the procedure.

IMG_5628.JPG  IMG_5629.JPG 
Cylinder head before disassembly

IMG_5633.JPG 
The valve spring needs to be compressed to remove the keepers.

IMG_5630.JPG  IMG_5631.JPG  IMG_5632.JPG  IMG_5634.JPG 
Using the valve spring compressor to remove the keepers and disassemble the valves.

IMG_5635.JPG 
Valve spring removed. This is the oil seal. It can be removed carefully with a flathead screwdriver.

IMG_5636.JPG 
Valve assembly removed.

IMG_5637.JPG  IMG_5638.JPG  IMG_5639.JPG 
Cylinder head removed and ready for inspection.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com