WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 

I am currently working on my new daily driver/shop truck. It is a 1985 Chevy M1028 CUCV. Basically a 1.25 ton 4WD diesel pickup. Part of my upgrades to this truck is to install a stereo system. This was a military truck so it did not come with a stereo. I really like listening to the radio and podcasts and tunes from my mp3 player so installing a stereo will be a great “comfort” feature. I did a stereo install on my K-10 in the past and I am very happy with the results so I am going to use some similar components for this install. Here is a list of components I am using:

Head unit: Alpine CDE-152 with KTP445A 45W amp

Speakers: Alpine SPR-60  6” speakers for doors and SPR 69 6X9 speakers for the back

Subwoofer: Rockville RW10CA 800W powered subwoofer

I also use 10 gauge speaker wire and some waterproof surroundings for the door speakers. All in all this equipment is about $600 in total. I fabricated some rear speaker mounts for the 6 X 9’s. Here is a link to the post that covers this. http://forums.whatsintheshop.com/post/1973-%E2%80%93-1987-chevy-gmc-pickup-fabricating-rear-speaker-mounting-brackets-allegany-county-ny-7626265?pid=1288826319

I started this install with the subwoofer. I will mount it to the back of the cab.

IMG_6209.JPG 
Here is a pic of the subwoofer I used. I bought the installation kit which was well worth it for the extra $12.00 since we don't have an audio store nearby.
IMG_6210.JPG 
Looks nice

IMG_6230.JPG 
Subwoofer mounted to the back of the cab. I had to make an "L" bracket mount for the bottoms.

IMG_6231.JPG 
The 6 X 9 speakers will be mounted in the cab corners. Notice the M-16 mounts.

IMG_6229.JPG 
Fabricated cab corner speaker mount.

More posts to follow.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #2 

Moving on with the stereo install. Just like on my K-10 I want to add some 6” speakers to the door. The doors on this truck are not set up for speakers so I will have to cut the doors. I use the cardboard templates provided with the speakers to layout the door. Next I drill the mounting holes and a hole so I can start the center cut. I use a pneumatic body saw to cut the door. This saw works great. I bought it from Harbor Freight about a five years ago and it has worked great. After the cut was complete I wanted to rustproof the inner part of the door. For this I will use Eastwoods heavy duty anti-rust part # 160172p. This is a wax/oil compound that is used for inner panels. This product is not designed for areas that are constantly exposed to the elements. Next I use a pneumatic right angle drill to drill the door and the cab for the speaker wire. I also outlined the dash for the head unit. See pics and captions below for more details.  

IMG_6232.JPG 
Templates

IMG_6233.JPG 
Use template to trace out door

IMG_6234.JPG 
Drilled holes

IMG_6235.JPG 
Use air body saw for cutting

IMG_6236.JPG 
door cut

IMG_6237.JPG  IMG_6238.JPG 
use right angle air drill to cut holes for speaker wires
IMG_6243.JPG  IMG_6245.JPG 
here is the anti-rust and application gun I used for the inside of the doors

IMG_6247.JPG 
Here is what the anti rust looks like dried in the door. It is waxy and works great for inner panels

IMG_6239.JPG 
Next I outlined the dash to make a cut for the head unit.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Ok let's finish this install. See attached pics and captions. This stereo worked out great. I like the sound of the diesel but having great tunes for a long ride is a big plus. This stereo has an aux input so you can use your mp3 player with it.

IMG_6253.JPG 
stereo cutout complete

IMG_6240.JPG 
I solder and use shrink tubing on all connections
IMG_6242.JPG 
check out this mess. This is the wiring all hooked up so I could test everything before I mounted it for good. Having the seat out made this install a lot easier.
IMG_6249.JPG 
water proof housing for door speakers. These are cheap and work good.

IMG_6250.JPG  IMG_6251.JPG  IMG_6252.JPG 
Door speakers installed.

IMG_6258.JPG  IMG_6259.JPG  IMG_6263.JPG  IMG_6265.JPG  IMG_6268.JPG 
Pictures of stereo installed. The subwoofer has a remote controller which is nice.
IMG_6241.JPG 
Here is the antenna I used. It mounts to the inside of the windshield. It works out well since this truck did not come with a radio antenna.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com