WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 

The Ranger got home on the flatbed yesterday. After 197,000 miles the timing belt failed not sure if it was original. I bought the truck with 120,000 miles on it. This is a non interference motor so I was a little laxed on maintenance ( I thought this truck would die a year ago!). Anyways I got into disassembly by taking the upper radiator hose, ac compressor, timing belt cover, and power steering bracket off. Before I did this I took out one of the number one spark plugs and put the motor at top dead center. Next I have to remove the crank pulley and install the new belt. See pics below.

IMG_6442.JPG 
Busted timing belt

IMG_6443.JPG 
Motor at top dead center

IMG_6444.JPG 
Cover off and moving onto the crank pulley. More to follow.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Back on the timing belt.

IMG_6446.JPG 
Used a puller to remove the crank pulley. I used a breaker bar and turned the engine over to loosen the crank bolt. Not enough room to get an impact wrench in there without removing the radiator.

IMG_6447.JPG 
crank pulley out.

IMG_6449.JPG  IMG_6450.JPG  IMG_6451.JPG 
After the old belt was removed I checked to see that I was at TDC and then lined up the cam and oil pump sprockets with their marks. Then I loosened the timing belt tensioner and installed the new timing belt. Then I rotated the crank two full revolutions and checked the marks again. I was off by a little on the crank pulley so I had to remove and reinstall the belt again. Another two revolutions and I was right on the marks. I used a large pry bar to carefully retract the timing belt tensioner pulley. There is a special tool for this.

IMG_6452.JPG 
new timing belt installed. Now I just did the reassembly. Truck is running like a champ again. Hopefully the truck will last 250,000 miles

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com