WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 

Driving to work in my 1998 Ford Ranger I smelled brakes burning. I pulled into the parking lot and checked the wheels. Only the left front was hot to the touch. I drove it home and again it was sticking. I pulled it in the shop to check it out. First thing I noticed is that the bolts that hold the caliper sliding pins were loose. I pulled the caliper and noticed the inside pad was worn unevenly. I looked at the rotor and it was in bad shape. The surface on the inside of the rotor was reduced due to corrosion. I checked the brakes this summer and I tell you the rotors really went down hill in a short time. I then exercised the caliper pistons using a c- clamp. After a stoking the pistons in and out a couple of times it didn’t really feel free. At this point it was not worth it for me to screw around any further. I got a new rotor, wheel bearing seal, and caliper and installed them. I used blue Loctite for the bolts on the caliper pins. I then bled the brakes and put everything together. Everything is ok now. I don’t like putting in $90.00 into a truck that has about 190,000 miles on it but it is my daily driver and it doesn’t owe me anything. Question is what will break next and will it be worth fixing. Ah the joys of high mileage daily drivers.

IMG_3870[1].JPG  IMG_3874[1].JPG  IMG_3876[1].JPG  IMG_3877[1].JPG  IMG_3878[1].JPG 

MR. X

Reply with quote  #2 
There is a reason that people like you and I have high milage daily drivers. Because we fix what breaks and we fix it right. Most be people are either to dumb or lazy and just drive vehicles into the ground with little to no maintenance, that's not the recipe to build a high mileage daily driver.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com