WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
I put the 2003 KTM 450EXC on the lift last night. First off this bike is great. It is basically a street legal motocross bike that is a blast on the street, motocross track, woods, and seasonal roads. I bought the bike used and I am hearing some noise coming from the bottom end. I am not sure the exact location even using a mechanics stethoscope. I plan on disassembling the entire motor, inspecting the parts, and replacing the worn parts. This bike did not have a original odometer on it or an hour meter so I am not sure what the usage is on this motor. I put the bike on the lift and the first task was the rear brakes. They stopped working for some reason towards the end of last season. I bled the brakes and it solved the problem. Next job is to do a compression test as a baseline, drain the fluids, and start taking the motor apart. It's nice to start on a new project. My goal is to have it done by the end of the moth. This will be highly dependent on what I find. If I have to send the crankshaft out for rebuild I will be at the mercy of the vendor.

IMG_4481.JPG  IMG_4482.JPG 
New project on the lift

IMG_4483.JPG  IMG_4484.JPG 
Bleeding the rear brakes using the mighty vac and adding fluid the rear brake master cylinder

MR. X

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice,i look forward to following along. Let me know if you need to send anything out ,i can get you in touch with Dan ,he has lots of time tearing in to modern 4strokes and has some solid info as well as good contacts.

Reply with quote  #3 

Moving forward on the KTM… First I wanted to mention that it’s a good idea to look at the service manual before you do the work. It can give good tips as to what sequence to do things and it lets you make sure you will have all the tools you need for the job. I know that I may not have a flywheel puller for this machine so it was my goal to get the left side cover off and check it out. Also it is good to stay organized. I used some old wood and a bodyman stand to make a table for all the small motor parts.  See pics below for progress.

IMG_4506.JPG 

Makeshift table for motor parts

IMG_4513.JPG 
Service manual out and ready

IMG_4501.JPG 
Drain engine oil

IMG_4512.JPG  IMG_4514.JPG 
Drained coolant and removed radiators

IMG_4508.JPG  IMG_4516.JPG  IMG_4518.JPG 

Removed flywheel cover and I do not have the right puller. Ordered the puller from a shop on e-bay for 18 bones. Hopefully this won't slow progress down.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
This weekend I removed the rocker covers, camshaft, and cylinder head. The cam chain needed to be removed using a chain riveting tool as seen in the pictures. I found that the intake camshaft lobe shows some wear. The camshaft will need replacement. I am starting to put together parts list and researching replacement part options. This KTM has a nice feature of locking the engine at top dead center. See pics below for more detail. Next will be removing the top end.

IMG_4519.JPG  IMG_4522.JPG 

exhaust removed

IMG_4523.JPG 

carb removed

IMG_4524.JPG 
swingarm removed
IMG_4527.JPG  IMG_4529.JPG  IMG_4530.JPG 

This bolt when the washer is removed fits into a notch in the crankshaft at top dead center. This feature makes it nice so you don't have to hold the engine in place by other means.

IMG_4539.JPG 
water pump cover off

IMG_4541.JPG 
rocker cover off

IMG_4544.JPG 
removing the cam chain with the chain breaking tool

IMG_4547.JPG 

damage to the intake lobe of the camshaft

IMG_4548.JPG 
cylinder head off

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Flywheel puller is in so I removed the flywheel. With the cylinder head off there is enough clearance to get the motor out of the frame. This motor is in there tight but I got it out and placed it on the workbench. Next I took the cylinder off. The cylinder and piston look good visually but I will need to do some measuring to verify. The connecting rod side to side play seems to be a lot but then again I will have to disassemble it further and take some measurements.

IMG_4549.JPG  IMG_4550.JPG 

Flywheel puller installed.

IMG_4551.JPG 

Flywheel removed

IMG_4552.JPG 

Motor on the bench

IMG_4553.JPG 
IMG_4554.JPG 

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #6 

More disassembly. Removed the following - piston from connecting rod, cam chain and guides, right hand cover, and clutch pressure plates. No visual problems found with the parts that were removed. The connecting rod seems to have a lot of end play on it though.  I need to buy a two jaw puller so I can get the cam chain sprocket off of the crankshaft.

Note that I used a cardboard template for the side cover bolts so I don't mix them up due to their different lengths.

IMG_4555.JPG  IMG_4556.JPG  IMG_4557.JPG  IMG_4561.JPG  IMG_4562.JPG  IMG_4563.JPG  IMG_4564.JPG  IMG_4573.JPG 

MR. X

Reply with quote  #7 
Looks good so far , you and i have been doing the bolts in the cardboard since the gt80/xr75 days. I hear all the professionals just take all the bolts out and put them in a coffee can in no particular order.

Reply with quote  #8 

Time is tight this week but I spent about an hour working on the KTM motor. I finished disassembling the clutch and moved on to the primary gear. I didn’t have a 2 jaw puller that fit so I ended up using a flywheel puller to pull the primary gear off.

IMG_4579.JPG 
Clutch removed

IMG_4580.JPG 

Holding primary gear with clutch holding tool

IMG_4581.JPG 

IMG_4582.JPG 

Using flywheel puller to remove primary gear off of the crankshaft

IMG_4583.JPG 

Primary gear removed

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #9 

Almost to the point where I can split the crankcases. I removed the kickstarter assembly, external shift mechanism, oil pump, starter, and oil filters. I removed the crankcase bolts but I can’t split the crankcases until I get a small 2 jaw puller to remove the cam chain sprocket that is attached to the crankshaft. Next will be getting the gear off, splitting the cases, removing the crankshaft, balancer, and transmission. I am hoping to have the disassembly complete this weekend.

IMG_4584.JPG  IMG_4586.JPG 

Kickstarter off
IMG_4593.JPG  IMG_4600.JPG 
external shift mechanism removed

IMG_4601.JPG  IMG_4602.JPG  IMG_4603.JPG  IMG_4604.JPG 

Oil pump removed

IMG_4608.JPG 

Oil filters. I use the reusable stainless steel type.

IMG_4611.JPG 
Lots of parts on the table waiting for cleaning and inspection. 

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #10 

Engine disassembly is complete. I got my 2 jawed puller in and removed the timing chain sprocket off of the crankshaft. After this I split the crankcases and removed the transmission and the crankshaft. It is important to take good notes and pictures so they can be used on reassembly. Note the use of rubber bands to keep the transmission and shift forks together.  Now that the motor is all apart time to move on to cleaning and inspecting all of the parts.

IMG_4612.JPG  IMG_4629.JPG  IMG_4633.JPG  IMG_4650.JPG  IMG_4654.JPG  IMG_4655.JPG  IMG_4657.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com