WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 

I bought a Koso digital water temperature gauge for my 2008 Polaris 600RR. This sled came with a temperature warning light only. I don’t like this idea because when the light comes on the sled is really hot and damage can occur. When you have a gauge you can see the temperature rising over time and can take corrective action by finding some fresh snow or shutting it down and letting it cool off. It will also let me know if the sled is warmed up enough. Note that the temperature light will still work with the addition of this gauge.  

The gauge has an LCD display and an LED backlight. The range of the gauge is 32F – 482F. It has a top/high temperature recall. The gauge comes with a senor, wiring, and Velcro mounting pad. The adapter used to mount the sensor in the cooling hose is sold separately. The gauge costs $65.00 and the adapter cost $35.00.

IMG_3901.JPG 

First thing I did was bench test this gauge to make sure it works before I actually install it. This way if it does not work I can return it and save a lot of time and frustration. I used a battery and a glass of warm water to check that the gauge is operating properly. The gauge tested out ok.

I started with installing the sensor in the adapter. I used Teflon tape to seal up the threads. Next I found a spot in the cooling system to install the adapter. I used vise grips to pinch off the cooling hose to prevent leakage when I cut the hose to install the adapter. After the hose was pinched off in two places I cut the hose with a sharp razor blade. I then installed the adapter and tightened the hose clamps.

IMG_3904.JPG 

IMG_3905.JPG 

IMG_3916.JPG 
Next I had to run the wiring from the sensor to the gauge. You have to be careful to route the wiring away from heat and pinch points. I chose to mount the gauge on the dash right near the tachometer. To install the gauge in this position I wanted to make sure I could raise the front cowl of the sled without disconnecting any wires. This meant I had to run the wires up the front cowl. No big deal.

IMG_3906.JPG 

After the sensor wires were hooked up it was time to wire the backlight for the gauge. For this I just needed a power source and a ground. I found a power wire from the wiring diagram in the manual and verified it with a test light and a volt meter. I soldered up the backlight connections and then routed all the wiring using zip ties.

IMG_3907.JPG 

Next I mounted the gauge on the dash. I have good results cleaning the surface with wax and grease remover before I stick the Velcro.

IMG_3908.JPG 

Last step is to check that the gauge is working, make sure wiring is clear of obstructions, add coolant, and make sure there is no coolant leaking from the adapter and sensor.  

This installation was nice and easy. It took a little over an hour to do and I was taking my time.

IMG_3909.JPG  IMG_3915.JPG  IMG_3910.JPG
  IMG_3914.JPG 

MR. X

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice and clean install.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com