WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
Finally started the reassembly of the Diablo Rouge. I put the tractor portion on the lift and started with the undercarriage. I put the drive assembly on first and then the bumper. Next I drove in some new ball bearings for the idler sprockets and put the idler sprocket assembly together. Then it was on to the boogie wheel assemblies. I took a break and will probably work tonight until I have the tracks installed and most of the under carriage complete.

IMG_4131.JPG  IMG_4132.JPG  IMG_4133.JPG  IMG_4134.JPG  IMG_4135.JPG  IMG_4136.JPG  IMG_4137.JPG

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Finished up the undercarriage this morning. I installed the remaining boogie wheels and exhaust. I then mounted the snow flap and then installed the tracks and adjusted the tension. The tracks used on this sled are split tracks. Hinges and pins are used to connect the tracks. So far so good.

IMG_4138.JPG  IMG_4139.JPG  IMG_4140.JPG  IMG_4142.JPG  IMG_4143.JPG  IMG_4144.JPG  IMG_4145.JPG  IMG_4146.JPG 

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #3 

I spent some time last night assembling the Diablo Rouge. I put the brake caliper on first. This sled uses a mechanical disc brake system. After that I hooked up a chain fall and rigging to support the motor. This is a little overkill but it is nice not having to hold the motor while I mounted it to the frame. Spending a little extra time for set up can save a lot of paint scratches and extra rework later. The motor is suspended over the tractor body using 4 rubber motor mounts. This is only a 15 HP 300CC single cylinder so it works. Anything much bigger would need extra reinforcement. I next put the gas tank in and then I put the handle assembly on. This assembly is what the top motor mounts bolt to. It is starting to look like something now.

IMG_4178.JPG  IMG_4179.JPG 
Brake installed

IMG_4181.JPG 
rear motor mount installed

IMG_4184.JPG 
Motor suspended by chainfall

IMG_4185.JPG  IMG_4186.JPG  IMG_4187.JPG 

Motor, gas tank, and handle installed. It's starting to come together.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Continued work on reassembling the tractor portion of the Diablo today. I mounted the hood hinge, added gear oil to the chaincase, and mounted the front dash panel. I also got started on the wiring and should finish that later tonight. So far it is going back together great. These old machines are so simple - it is a nice change of pace.

IMG_4190.JPG 

Front hood hinge mounted

IMG_4189.JPG 
adding full synthetic gear oil to chain case

IMG_4203.JPG 

IMG_4202.JPG 

Mounted dash.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #5 

I installed the wiring on the Diablo last night. First thing I did was lay out the wiring to see what needs to be repaired or replaced. After looking at the simple wiring system this sled uses I decided that it was a no brainer to replace all of the wiring. I also used a new light switch since the old one was broken and new 14 gauge wire. I like to use quality wire, solder all of the connections, and use shrink tubing. The solder and shrink tubing tend to last longer than just using crimped connections.  Having all new wiring is a positive selling point on such an old machine. I will keep the original wiring and set it aside in case the buyer wants it. Some people are big into originality. I did have to change the color of some of the wires. I remember I used to be able to buy all different colors of wire. All the stores near me only had black, red, white, and green.  I also installed the light and ignition switch in the dash. The whole job took about two hours and this was a fun task so I was really taking my time. I still need to wire the lights up but this will wait until the hood is installed.

IMG_4204[1].JPG 
Old wiring

IMG_4205.JPG 
Crimped connection

IMG_4206.JPG 
Set up in clamps to solder - This tool is simple and works great.

IMG_4208.JPG 
Soldered crimped connection

IMG_4209.JPG 
Install shrink tubing

IMG_4210.JPG 
melt shrink tubing with lighter

IMG_4211.JPG 
New wiring all set up and ready for installation

IMG_4212.JPG 
New sticker for dash switches
IMG_4219.JPG 
Light and ignition switches installed.

IMG_4216.JPG 
Wiring installed.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
Still pluggin away. Hooked up the brake, put the stickers on the dash, installed the pullstarter, put the choke cable on, and polished the gas cap. IMG_4258.JPG  IMG_4259.JPG  IMG_4265.JPG 
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #7 

I installed the heat shield and the carb on the Diablo Rouge last night. The heat shield makes bolting down the carb difficult due to access. I had to use a crows foot wrench. Next is hooking up the throttle cable, choke cable, and gas line. Getting closer to cruising around the property on this vintage machine.

IMG_4307[1].JPG 
Before

IMG_4308[1].JPG 
Heat shield and carb installed.

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #8 

Before I put the hood on I want to finish up some details while I have a lot of open space. I got the carb, throttle cable, return springs, and fuel lines installed. I then moved on to polishing the primary and secondary clutches. I used a scotch brite wheel and a die grinder to take off all the varnish. Having a flow regulator for a job like this is important. If the speed is too high the wheel will come apart. After the scotch brite I used the bombs away polish to finish the clean up. Little details like this are important to a restoration in my opinion. Dull dirty components stick out when the surrounding parts are clean. Next is hood installation. Getting very close to completion.

IMG_4309.JPG  IMG_4310.JPG  IMG_4311.JPG  IMG_4312.JPG  IMG_4314.JPG 
Much better

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #9 
I spent some quality time out in the shop today. Ambient temps are below zero so it was a good day to stay inside. I assembled the hood of the Diablo, installed the nose piece, and wired the lights up. Now it's getting close to completion. I need to put the decals on and then get it running and driving again.
See pics below of progress.

IMG_4317.JPG  IMG_4318.JPG  IMG_4319.JPG 

Hood with screen and cover installed

IMG_4320.JPG 
nose piece and lights

IMG_4321.JPG 
Rusty bulbs. These were replaced with new bulbs.

IMG_4342.JPG 
Wiring for lights all hooked up
IMG_4323.JPG  IMG_4324.JPG   
Hood installed on tractor

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #10 

I had a lot of fun putting the decals on the Diablo yesterday. This is one of my favorite parts of the restoration since I typically wait do this at the very end. I ordered the complete decal kit from gogodiablo.com and it was a quality set. I took pictures of the original decal locations before I started the restoration so I had a good reference. I then marked the body with a pencil to help me locate the correct position. Crooked or off center decals look terrible so make sure you get it right. I used sticker on when putting the decals on. This is a big help. I will do a review on this product so you get a better idea of what it does.http://forums.whatsintheshop.com/post/sticker-on-decal-application-spray-review-allegany-county-ny-7301988?pid=1286237805#post1286237805

IMG_4332.JPG  IMG_4333.JPG  IMG_4335.JPG  IMG_4338.JPG  IMG_4339.JPG  IMG_4340.JPG 

banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #11 
I wired up the taillight on the diablo Rouge this morning. This represents the last task left before a test ride and touch up. I had the test ride and I tell you it was fun. See attached video of me rippin around the back yard on this vintage machine.

IMG_4413.JPG 
Hookin up the taillight

IMG_4418.JPG 

IMG_4419.JPG 

All lights work

IMG_4420.JPG 

The first time this Diablo has seen snow in over 20 years.

MR. X

Reply with quote  #12 
Good work on the resto. It came out great.

Reply with quote  #13 
Just wanted to post some finished pictures of the Diablo Rouge. I am in the process of getting it registered and then I am going to put it up for sale.

IMG_4436.JPG  IMG_4438.JPG  IMG_4440.JPG  IMG_4449.JPG  IMG_4453.JPG  IMG_4467.JPG  IMG_4470.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com