WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
I purchased this press from Harbor Freight about two years ago for $149.00 I have used the press to press out wheel bearings from housings and remove and install universal joints from driveshafts. This is a tool that I don’t use very often but when I need it I need it. I have had many bearings that were not going to come out with a hammer and socket or using a bench vise for a press. The same goes for U-joints.  20 TONS is a lot of force. You need to be careful that you won’t break something. I was trying to remove a U-joint on a driveshaft once and I ended up breaking the ear off the driveshaft that held the u-joint cap.

THE GOOD

Press came with arbor plates for fixturing

Height is adjustable from 6"  to  30"

Heavy duty construction

Price – it is pretty affordable to the average shop/garage

THE BAD

Made in China

No gauge to know the pressure you are exerting

Handle for jack is not very easy to use – the sections separate and are a loose fit into the jack. It is tough to hold a part and operate the jack at the same time. A new handle could be fabricated easily to solve this.

I would recommend this press. I think that 20 tons will handle most any automotive, ATV, or motorcycle application.

IMG_3511.JPG  IMG_3512.JPG  IMG_3513.JPG  IMG_3514.JPG  IMG_3515.JPG  IMG_3516.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com