WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
I had to clean the foam air filters on the KLX 650 and the KTM 450 EXC this week so I thought that it was a good idea to do a review on the cleaner that I have been using. The cleaner is made by Maxima and the part number of the aerosol can is 79920. The cost was about 6 bones per can. This cleaner is also available in a gallon size so you can put it I a spray bottle. I use this cleaner on foam filters only. Below is the good and bad on this product and I also included pictures of the cleaning process using this product.

THE GOOD

Fast cleaning - After spraying to the filter you just have to let it sit for 60 seconds. In this time the cleaner will break down the filter oil and all the other crud attached to the filter. Take a look at the pictures below you would never know the filter was red looking at the dirty picture and in less than five minutes it is clean. If you know anything about foam air filter oil it is sticky stuff that is hard to remove. This cleaner cuts right through it. It easily washes off with water.

No caustic chemicals - The chemicals work well for cleaning but they are easy on your hands and the filter foam. I still wear rubber gloves when I use this product.

Value - A little goes a long way. I can usually clean about a half dozen or more really dirty filters with one can. I learned the hard way that dish soap and other degreasers don't work well with filter oil. You definitely want a purpose cleaner for this process.

THE BAD

Stinky - This stuff smells really bad. My wife is never happy seeing me carrying a filter to the kitchen sink.

Availability - This stuff is readily available on line but many motorcycle dealerships around here don't carry it. It is also unavailable at the auto parts stores around here (southwest New York State) 

IMG_4718.JPG 
Dirty filter out of a KLX 650 
  IMG_4724.JPG   
IMG_4726.JPG 
spray it on inside and out and then let it sit for a minute or two

IMG_4727.JPG 
Next agitate it in warm water with dish soap

IMG_4728.JPG 
Rinse with water from the inside out

IMG_4733.JPG 
Let dry and oil once completely dry. This cleaning took less than 5 minutes. You wouldn't have guessed that this filter was red looking at it dirty.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com