WHATSINTHESHOP.COM A Forum To Share What's Going On In Your Shop

Author   Comment  
banana4monkey

Reply with quote  #1 

I have been doing a fair share of soldering lately so it is a good time to do a review on my soldering iron. The soldering iron I use is made by Weller. The model number is 8200 . It runs on 120VAC and is a “gun” style soldering iron with a pistol grip. It has a high and low power (140W/100W) setting that is adjusted by the trigger position.  I bought this soldering iron for $30.00 from radio shack about 6 years ago. It comes with a carrying /storage case and some extra soldering tips. Here is the good and bad.

THE GOOD

HI/LOW Power settings – The high and low power settings are good since you can use this soldering iron for both thick and thin wires.

Pistol grip – the grip for me is better for control as compared to a standard soldering iron.

Trigger on/off  - When the trigger is released the iron cools down quickly as compared to a standard soldering iron and you don’t have to unplug it to turn it off. It also heats up quicker than a standard soldering iron.

THE BAD

Large size – This soldering iron is big so it cannot get into places like up underneath car dashboards like a standard soldering iron can.

All in all I recommend this soldering iron. It works much better than my cheap standard plug in soldering iron. I have replaced two tips on this iron and other than that no issues. If you are looking to upgrade your standard soldering iron the Weller might be a good choice.

IMG_4426.JPG  IMG_4427.JPG  IMG_4428.JPG  IMG_4431.JPG  IMG_4433.JPG  IMG_4434.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

http://www.whatsintheshop.com